Orange County Nursing Home Attorneys
The Attorneys at Consumer Litigation Law Center, APC are dedicated to helping those who have been affect by nursing home abuse or neglect. We advocate strongly for the families and residents of skilled nursing facilities that have been affected by the abuse or neglect. We are finding that Nursing Home Abuse is starting to become an all-too-common trend emerging in California. It is estimated that nearly 5,000,000 elders are abused each year. The California population of elderly is expected to nearly double by 2030, and with this increase, there will likely be more reported cases of abuse.
As a family member, you are entrusting the health, safety, welfare and care of your loved one to the nursing home or skilled care facility. It is their responsibility to prove the utmost care, service, expertise and professionalism. Unfortunately, this is not always the case which can leave the nursing home resident potentially the victim of emotional, financial and even physical harm. This alarming trend is due to lack of training, lack of funding, lack of supervision, poor management and understaffing issues, which the main causes of nursing home abuse.
Common Types of Abuse and Neglect
California nursing home abuse and neglect often have many causes, but the result suffered by you and your loved one is often the same. There are many forms of abuse and neglect, but according to California state law, each of the following meet the definition:
- Abandonment: unclean or unsanitary living conditions such as soiled bedding and clothing. This also includes lack of proper medical treatment.
- Emotional abuse: unexplained changes in mood or personality, which could be a cause the resident to act in fear. Emotional abuse often results in fear of interacting with nursing home staff or care givers. This can also lead to the staff refusing the resident to see family members or close friends; withdrawal from social support system; hesitation to talk openly.
- Financial Exploitation: can arise from discrepancies between the person’s standard of living and available assets. Financial exploitation can be revealed through unexplained depletion of assets or unexplained financial transactions.
- Neglect: can be evidenced by lack of various necessities such as food, water, shelter, and proper hygiene, which can cause bedsores or skin ulcers. Neglect can also come in the form of medical needs unattended to and unpaid bills.
- Physical abuse: unexplained injuries such as burns, bruises, broken bones and unexplained trips to medical providers.
- Self-neglect: often the result of a resident refusing case, also the symptoms can take on one or any combination of the other symptoms described above.
- Sexual abuse: often time comes from a resident being abused by another resident or staff. This can lead to development of genital or anal pain, injury or bleeding and sexually transmitted diseases.
Often, multiple forms of abuse and neglect can occur simultaneously. This type of abuse or neglect follows a certain pattern, first physical, which will then turn into psychological. Ultimately, these issues occur as result of insufficient training, underfunding and understaffing, but not all abuse or neglect is intentionally inflicted. Often, we see neglect and abuse used to coerce a victim to obtain control over the victim’s financial wellbeing.
Call today to speak with an experienced Nursing Home and Neglect Attorney
If you or a loved one have been injured as a result of abuse or neglect in a Southern California Nursing Home, it is imperative to speak to one of our experts. The Attorneys at Consumer Litigation Law Center, APC have extensive knowledge of nursing home abuse and neglect cases. Our goal is to provide compensation and justice for those who have been harmed by someone’s harmful and neglectful act. Our firm has years of experience advocating for those who have been affected by abuse and neglect. We handle cases throughout the Counties of Los Angeles, Riverside, Orange, San Bernardino and San Diego. We urge you to please contact our office for a free and confidential case evaluation of your situation and options.
Contact our Legal Team at Consumer Litigation Law Center, APC today for your FREE CASE EVALUATION at 714.400.2970